February 3, 2018
Please pray for me and the 35-40 men from St. Matthew Parish I will be leading on a one-day retreat today. I’ve titled the retreat, The Seven C’s: Loving as Jesus Loved.
We will read Scripture, pray together, discuss, and reflect. Our focus will be on how we – as Christian men – love God, family, friends, neighbors, and strangers, including those that annoy us.
Jesus set the example for us. He was caring and committed in His love. He was compassionate and commanded us to be the same. His love was consistent – He didn’t love everyone the same, but He loved everyone equally. His love was (and is) continual and He reminded us in many ways that our work is never done.
Finally, Jesus’ love for us, and ours for Him, is costly. He paid the ultimate price, giving up His life for us. He expects the same in return. Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me. (Matthew 16:24)
Spend some time this weekend reflecting on some of the questions with which I’ll be challenging these men:
- How do you try to reveal Christ to your family and friends?
- Is it difficult for you to receive love?
- How do you “preach service” / encourage others to serve?
- Do you struggle with being judgmental?
- How can you show love to someone you don’t really like all that much?
- Are there times you feel God is asking too much of you?
Now go out and love as Jesus loved!