June 15, 2018
If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one of your members than to have your whole body thrown into Gehenna. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one of your members than to have your whole body go into Gehenna. (Matthew 5:27-32)
The Gospels are full of warnings to be aware, vigilant, awake and alert, prepared, and watchful. We have another example in today’s gospel. We are told that we need to be aware of what is taking our focus off of God and eliminate it.
Questions for your consideration:
- If we truly believe what we say in the Creed – He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead – shouldn’t we be better prepared?
- Shouldn’t we be doing the right thing all the time, just in case today is the day?
- What state would Christ find us in if His return in glory happened today?
- How prepared are we to be judged?
- What planning and preparation have we done to welcome Jesus upon His return?
- What is distracting us from what is most important?
In my heart I know that I am unprepared. I think it’s because my day of judgment still seems so far off. There’s always time to right the ship, so what’s the hurry?
Does this sound like you?
Identify what it is that is distracting you from Jesus. Tear it out or cut it off, and throw it away – do whatever you need to do to prepare for the day you will meet Him face to face.