May 16, 2020
On live-stream prayer time with St. Pius X last night, Carol and I presented some ideas for “filling your week with 15 minutes of focused prayer per day.”
Here is a summary of those ideas:
Remember: Time and place are important! Have a designated spot and write the time in your calendar!
Silent prayer – “Be still and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10)
- Simply sit with God. Don’t fill the time at all – just be fully present to God and allow Him to enter your heart and share His plans for you.
Say, pray, ask – focus on gratitude, needs of others, my own needs
- What am I grateful for? Say “Thank you”
- Who in my life needs prayers? Pray for them
- What are my needs? Ask for help
Talk to the chair (for all you visual people)
- Set an empty chair in front of you
- Have a heart-to-heart with Jesus
- Don’t hold back! Allow your prayer to reflect where you are with him right then.
Thanksgiving statements – totally focused on what and why we are grateful
- “I am grateful for ________________ because _____________”
- Too often we say thank you without truly expressing the benefit we receive from the gift we’ve received.
Time with scripture – scripture is the divinely inspired word of God – allow it to inspire you
- Use the readings of the day, go completely through a particular book of the bible, open up to a random page and begin..it’s up to you!
- Spend 10 minutes simply reflecting on the reading
- Spend 5 minutes asking, “What is this saying to me? What is it calling me to do?”
Pen and paper – put it in writing!
- Write a letter to God
- Journal your thoughts on where you are in your relationship with (distinct from a diary) – gauge growth, transformation, areas of weakness
- Do occasional assessment of your journal – what is it calling you to do? Where do you need work? What do you have to celebrate?
Mutual focused prayer
- Reach out to 3 loved ones or even acquaintances to let them know that you will be praying for them that day – do they have any intentions? Special needs?
- Just as important – ask them to pray for you! Share your intentions with them
- Spend 5 minutes in prayer for each of your chosen prayer partners
If this plan works for you, you are welcome to it. Take what works for you, disregard the others. If even one of these ideas sparks a desire to pray in you, we will have done our job!
God bless you!